Sunday, May 13, 2007

JOG ON!

Sunday May 13, 2007

So I've spent the last couple days at home with cousin et famille. I have no idea if I got that right, so feel free to decry. All in all, its been a fun time, with two movies (Hot Fuzz, hence the title, and 28 Weeks Later, sequel to the slasher thriller 28 Days Later) and a shopping trip in downtown TO. As for now, I'm hitting the sheets to start the day early. Well, a little later than now, and earlier than 8 AM. Hopefully.

I really need to start those runs with SK. Chica, if you're reading this, hold me to this?

I miss D. Even in the midst of all this, I miss her. Terribly. I got a precious few hours yesterday, so I guess I can't complain. Scratch the yesterday, its officially the day before? Every moment is to die for, and every moment without doesn't seem worth a moment. But what kind of waiting game is this? I wish time would flow by faster.

I think I'm going to start a world-famous listing on this blog soon. But I need a topic, or something. I've got a few ideas, but I'd love to hear back from any of you.

One of my friends wrote a song about the division that exists between the two "extreme" worlds that are the Tamils and the Sinhalese in Sri Lanka. As of now, I'm still wondering why no one can follow a simple fix-it-all solution. Dare I suggest it? Or am I to be branded a traitor for not supporting the fighting, the forced impregnations of bullets into hearts and brains, the destruction of city, country, houses and people alike? Someone once told me that the people back home have nothing to live for but the independence. Interesting thought, that. What would independence represent? Calling a little 50-square-mile area a country? And then having an official national border separating it from another 75-square-mile nation? One that's already set-up with government, industry, technology etc...? Here come some flamers aimed at all those who took the fierce one-sided view to all this. Either side.

Could every Tamil person who left the country go back and think about the real-world survival of what's being proposed and the sensibility behind it? And if they could, would they put their backs into creating a nation from scratch and have it rise above the fifth-world standard it would start out at? Or would it be nothing more than an economic and political competition between two tiny nations with global impact? Would you, the SRI LANKAN Tamil person (according to some, the Indians are considered traitors?) and the Sinhalese person reading this, leave your homes, wherever in the world you are, and go back and fix this, one way or another?

Somehow I can't see that happening anytime too soon.

Hell, the next half-century would be nice.

Maybe if they run out of fossil fuels, the oil supply will drop and they won't have fuel for their planes to drop bombs on unsuspecting targets.

There's a thought.

Sadly yours,

Whispered Screams

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nothing concerning your post really so feeling slightly guilty about that... but oh well... it's been quite difficult to catch up with you recently... and you explained... just i've been reading your blog for a long time now, looks like i have to go back to it to keep up with you.. as well as use it to vent my own thoughts now... thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Answer to your question would Tamils go back: during the ceasefire many did go back. Especially the 100s of refugees stranded in India.

I have members of my family in the west, in the older generation who are aching to go back to their village. I know people who come over to visit their relatives in the west, who are impatient to get back to the north/East because they are worried that if the fighting flares up again they will be stranded in Colombo and won't be able to get back to their home. This is not unusual; I know an Iraqi colleague who's father lives in Basra and refuses to leave and join the family in the west, because it is his home. This is the reality.

Would expats go and help. I know Tamils all over the world who already go at great risk to life to do voluntary work in the North/East. Dr. Ambalavanar is a surgeon from Britain who chucked up his job and moved back to Jaffna more than five years ago to live there and work there. He still lives and works there. The Sri Lankan army is now stricter with allowing expat Tamils through.

The republic of Ireland is a country that went through famines and wars and poverty (read Angela's Ashes) now things are lifting up.

Regarding the sizes, there are many UN nations that a smaller.

We really need to inform ourselves more about this to get things in perspective.

It is a terrible, terrible thing that is happening, and people have to look at the facts and work through this to find a solution. You can't reverse more than 20 years of war in one day. This is not like a fast food chain: we are talking about human beings living under siege.